Tuesday 28 June 2011

An Indian opinion and experience of racism in Germany

I am a US citizen of Indian descent and speaking for my circle of friends who are also of Indian descent. We all believe that Germany is not a conducive environment for foreigners.

One of my friends has over 30 patents and is the chief engineer for a multi-100 million dollar high tech company he helped build. When he was asked to move to Hamburg to take over a division there, he was met with such hostility by highly educated employees and thinly disguised racial insults that he declined the job. The division was shut down a little later. It would be a stretch to say this was the reason but his presence would have given the division a fighting chance. Racism hurt everybody here, the German citizens who lost jobs, my friend who could not experience the pleasure of living in Germany which he was looking forward to.

I personally have been to over 56 countries on business and only in Germany have I ever been asked for my passport while walking down the street. Immigration officers have also been much ruder than in other European countries. As a result, I no longer fly through Germany if I can avoid it and do not plan on expanding into Germany. I am just a small blip on the economic radar for Germany but there are 200 million successful Indians or people of Indian origin who would like nothing better than to have a profitable and mutually beneficial relationship with Germany's people.

My friends of Chinese origin share the same view and there are probably as many of them if not more.

- Sameer V.
San Jose, CA, USA

-As told to SPIEGEL Magazine
Source: Spiegel

No comments:

Post a Comment